Class Discussion: 72 Hours of Hell

     I'm sure many of you have heard the term 72 Hours of Hell floating around this past week. We all know what it is. We all want a change. So why don't we do anything about it?

     For those of you who don't know, the 72 Hours of Hell took place between October 24, 2018 and October 27, 2018. Three hate crimes took place in the time span of just 72 hours. First, the Kroger shooting that took place right here in Louisville, killing two innocent victims who were just out shopping. Next, the person who was sending pipe bombs to people in power was caught and arrested. Finally, the Pittsburgh Synagogue shooting that took 11 more innocent lives of Jews who were just trying to worship. To me, it is really sad to think about what is happening in our world. When these things are happening back to back and way more often than they should be happening, I think it is time for a change. 

     A few days ago, we had a combined journalism class, where we talked about these tragic and terrifying hours. I remember feeling empowered and inspired when I walked out of class that day. I have spent a lot of time thinking about what we discussed and what took place last weekend, and I have realized that as journalists, we need to make a change in the way our society works. We need to take a stand about what we believe in. We need to spark a change. It was also brought to my attention that we are more than what some adults perceive children to be. One thing that really stood out to me from that class was when Mr. Miller put up a slide with the names of all the people who lost their lives over this terrible weekend. As soon as that slide went up, the whole room of 50 students went completely silent. It showed me that these events really can impact society, and in this case the youth. A lot of people view the youth to have no power and that we don't care about the world around us. However, this is not true. As a journalist, Mr. Miller and Mr. Palmer inspired me to be bold and confident, and that I shouldn't be scared to speak my mind. I should speak my mind to make a change. 

Comments