Class Discussion: Newspapers Are Still Around, And It Has Been 568 Years

     Newspapers were once the biggest hit in America, and now they are hardly used throughout the country. So, why are they still around? A few weeks ago in Mr. Miller's class, we discussed the history of newspapers. In 1870, the peak of newspapers was reached, which was when about 5,000 newspapers were used. However, today only around 1,400 newspapers are used. You would think that after 568 years of newspaper, they would eventually go away, right? Wrong. One thing I never knew is that media of mass communication will not go away, the numbers of use will just decrease over time. But why? 

     I believe that newspapers are still around because of history and tradition. I can remember being very young, sitting in the living room with my parents on a Sunday morning, with the smell of coffee floating in the air. My dad would always have a newspaper in their hand, and I would always ask for the comics. I know that my parents did the same thing with their parents, and my grandparents did the same thing with their parents. It stretches back for generations and generations. You can't get the same experience with just watching the news. There is no sentimental meaning behind it, and I think this is a major reason why newspapers are still around today. 

Comments