WDRB: Great Story Coverage


     For the past few weeks, I have been keeping up with WDRB News for our long term TV news project. If you have read either of my last two blog posts, you may have noticed that I have talked about how I believe that WDRB airs a lot of stories that aren't newsworthy and how they don't include enough stories that are important to the viewers. However, over the past few weeks, I have noticed a change with WDRB

     When I first started to watch WDRB, I had noted that they included a lot of stories that the viewers didn't really need to hear about. But after watching the news these past few nights, I have seen an improvement in the types of stories that WDRB have covered. For example, about a week ago, WDRB covered the Kroger Shooting (here is the link to the online version of this story with a video of the TV airing attached: http://www.wdrb.com/story/39352001/man-arrested-after-2-people-are-shot-and-killed-at-jeffersontown-kroger). I believe that WDRB did a great job covering this story. A few months ago, in Mr. Miller's class, we talked about the seven yardsticks of journalism. One of the yardsticks is enterprise, where a journalist should be active reporting (talking to bystanders and investigating) rather than passive reporting (reacting to a story). This story covered by WDRB was full of enterprise. They talked to 3 bystanders, one including an EMT who tried to save the life of the woman who was shot in the parking lot, and they also got feedback from the police department. The story also included how the community was mourning over the loss of the two innocent shoppers. WDRB also included this story in multiple different shows. This is an example of newsworthiness, because it has impacted many people of Louisville for a long period of time, and people are still mourning the lives lost. In my opinion, this story was very well covered by WDRB

Comments