WDRB: Newsworthiness and Context

     Two nights ago, I was watching the TV airing of WDRB News at 10:00 pm, and overall I felt like most of the news was important enough to be included in the airing. However, I did stumble across one story, titled Texas Roadhouse Drop In Quarterly Profits (website version of the story: http://www.wdrb.com/story/39386706/higher-labor-costs-eat-into-profits-at-texas-roadhouse). This story is about how Texas Roadhouse has lost profits due to the costs of employees. This story was only about 30 seconds long, so I felt like I didn't get to fully understand the story. In my opinion, I feel like this story was not newsworthy. I can see how it might impact the Texas Roadhouse company and employees for a long time, but it is not explicitly said how the community could be impacted by this story. Also, there are more important stories to cover at the moment, like the upcoming elections. Although it is only a 30 second story, that time can eventually build up and take away from the more important stories that could of been explained more in depth.

     This story also fails to meet the standard of context that is found in the yardsticks of journalism. The context yardstick states that a journalist should have multiple sources in their stories. In the TV airing, there were no sources found in the story. There is one quote found in the article, but I feel like to make this story more powerful and meaningful to the audience, the journalist could of included multiple quotes from Texas Roadhouse employees and owners to explain how this profit drop will impact their lives and the lives of customers. Not only will this solve the problem of context in the story, I feel like it would also make the story more newsworthy because it would explain how this drop in profit could potentially impact the lives of Texas Roadhouse lovers.

Comments