Entertainment and Information Binary Model: Class Discussion

Extra! Extra! Cat Protects Child From a Vicious Dog!


When I was younger, I can remember sitting in the living room with my parents as they watched the news on the television. Of course, I was bored out of my mind when the stories were about politics and things like that. But the animal stories, that’s when I was listening. Life saving dogs, cats protecting owners, cute dolphin and adorable puppy go on an adventure together... you know what I’m talking about. As a kid, I always thought that news was all about the stories that I am entertained by. I had a strong belief that all news stations should be about animals and food and celebrities. But now, I realize that that is a little ridiculous. The news shouldn’t focus on entertaining the people. The news should be about important things happening in the world. Food, sports, celebrities, animals, that all should not be included in the news. There are other television shows about those entertainments where you can learn about them and enjoy them. The news is a place where we should learn a little something about the world and our community. There are any people who tune into the news who want to be informed about what is going on around them. But lots of times, the portion of the news where people learn new information that is useful to them is very small. The entertainment portion of the news is much more present than the informative portion of the news, and I think this need to change.

Comments